Why Adopt?

People often wonder why Michael and I would choose to adopt when we have so many biological children. There are so many children in this world who are going without the love of a mother and father and the security of a stable home environment. We feel it is our calling to provide for at least one of those children through adoption.

Adoption is a natural choice for us since I was a birth mother as a teenager. I placed my infant son with a family through a semi-open adoption. I am excited to be on the other end of the situation and be able to now help a mother in need.

Our Progress in the Adoption Process

As of June 19, 2010, we have the written homestudy report in our hands and are researching adoption grants to help finance the adoption. We are preparing our documents for the Ethiopian government, but can't proceed much further without the first half of the Ethiopian program fee (roughly $6,000).


Timeframe from now until we bring our daughter home: Our personal goal is to bring our daughter home by the Fall of 2013.

Pages

2/16/10

26 Donations Received

It has been one week since we started our adoption fundaiser. We have received 26 donations at this point! We feel so fortunate to have already received so many contributions. Thank you to everyone who has given to us and also to those who have shared our journey with others.

The hardest part for me is the waiting. I am the type of person who likes to see instant results. With an adoption, there is a lot of time that you are waiting for others to do things. Right now we are waiting for four different establishments to return official paperwork to us so that we can proceed further on the adoption. Everyday I race to the front door as soon as I hear Chris the mailman fill our little copper mailbox. Today I thought I heard him and was disappointed by an empty box. No mail on Presidents' Day.

In my impatience I even emailed the agency to see if we couldn't just get started on the next step while we were waiting for the paperwork to arrive. I am sure it'll arrive soon, so what harm is there in getting a jump-start on the next step? No can do. Things must be done in a certain order. Official paperwork must be completed and notarized before we can move forward.

So we wait. Like a pregnancy there are many unknowns that only time can answer. And like a pregnancy we can not speed things along by sheer will power. A friend told me that God will delay and speed things up at just the right moments to make sure that we get the daughter that He has already chosen for us. And with a feeling that resembles end-of-pregnancy-impatience, I reluctantly accept this.

No comments:

Post a Comment